Cane rods, babies and Mangers

 

Since the angling bug bit at the age of 13, birthdays and Christmas have tended to have a similar theme with regard to the presents I receive, and as you might expect the common thread is angling. From the Observers Book of Coarse Fishing (a Christmas present from my parents in 1981) through seat boxes, rods, reels, more angling books, lures and floats there have been more presents in the "fishing category" than any other.

That's not to say that I don't receive non-angling gifts (chocolates, wine, whisky, and books of a non-angling nature also feature from time to time and are very welcome) but it's piscatorial presents that tend to dominate.

Among my favourites over the years are a number of rods: my first decent match rod, made by the no longer in existence East Anglian Rod Company and my first ever carbon rod (a spinning rod) both purchased by my parents, a fine custom built lure rod made for me by my American friend Don Morse, and the splendidly refurbished vintage Allcocks Wizard cane rod that was a leaving present from the congregation when I moved from the church I had been Vicar of for a decade. (the custom lure rod, and the Allcocks Wizard both pictured below).


My daughter has used her artistic ability to present me with two wonderfully unique gifts over the last year, a photo album detailing the perch fishing exploits of me and my angling friends, and using the skills that she employs in her day job working in graphic design and media, created a piece of art based on a photo of me holding my personal best crucian.


The last gift worthy of special mention is the landing net bought for me three years ago by the small group of anglers who I fish with most regularly, a vintage style wooden net with a cane handle which is beautifully lacquered and finished with maroon whippings.



In four days time there will, no doubt, be further items to add to the list of angling related presents, and heart felt thanks will be expressed as I rip the wrapping paper off with a boyish enthusiasm perhaps not befitting of a clergyman in his fifties!

However, all of these gifts pale into insignificance in the light of the gift that remains the "reason for the season." A gift which we're always in danger of becoming over-familiar with, or of over- sentimentalising so that it loses its power to surprise and evoke in us a sense of awe and thankfulness . Two thousand years ago, a baby was born, God's gift to humanity. A baby who was, in the words of the carol, "Christ, the Lord", God taking on frail human flesh to show us how to live but more importantly to offer us the gift of eternal life at the expense of his own life surrendered on a cross. As we prepare once again to eat turkey with all the trimmings, see family (even if, for this year, only on Zoom!) and unwrap the presents from under the tree, let's not forget to worship and adore the baby like no other, the  kid born in a stable to save the world, who is God incarnate and  Immanuel- "God with us"!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"This one's a keeper ..."

On fishing for people

Tales of the unexpected