"Was blind but now I see ..."


I can remember the frustration like it was yesterday, although it was probably nearer to 30 years ago. I was walking alongside a small stream (more of a ditch, really) that joined the River Cam and, as every angler does, my eyes peered through the water's layers as I walked. And then I saw it: a tiny baby pike, no more than 6 inches long. Excited, I pointed it out to my (non-angling) walking companions Graham and Alex. They looked and looked, squinted, screwed up their faces in strange contortions but could see nothing. "Look, it's there, next to that leaf .... it's just moved ... look" I implored, but still they saw no mini pikelet. Their inability to see gave way to banter: "Yea, right, you must think we were born yesterday ... nice try ... like a fish would be in that tiny stream anyway...." But the pike was there. I saw it.

It made me think of so many in the crowds who saw Jesus. There in front of them was the Messiah, the Son of God and they didn't see it; they saw a man, perhaps they'd concede a wise man or a prophet, they often called him "teacher" but they didn't realise who he really was.

Many of the folk who we meet at work, on the river bank, in the pub, our friends, neighbours and relatives are like that crowd. They acknowledge that Jesus was a historical figure but they haven't realised his true identity, or what he wants to do for them.

I guess if I'd had some polarising sunglasses to cut out the surface glare then even my friends, who lacked the experienced fish-spotting eye of an angler, might have seen the baby pike. Perhaps our job as Christians called by Jesus to be "his witnesses" is to be like polarising sunglasses to our non-believing friends: to do all we can to make it easier for them to see Jesus, and having seen to follow.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"This one's a keeper ..."

On fishing for people

Tales of the unexpected