Never too old


Last night I saw Mark Knopfler at the Resorts World Arena (formerly NEC) in Birmingham. He's 69 (many in the audience were older) but, in the words of one of his songs, "the boy can play." Still loving what he's doing, and a whole lot better at it than when he was a young kid just starting out.

Many of the best fishermen I've known have been "tapping on a bit." I'm certainly a better angler now than I was when I was 13. Although I had all the enthusiasm back then, I was impatient: I'd move swims too quickly, plumb the depth too hurriedly, race to the first available swim. Time and experience have made me if not a good angler certainly a better one.

It should be the same in our Christian journey, too. That as time passes, we grow. That our experiences drawn from Bible reading, church, the wisdom of other Christians and - above all- our lived relationship with Jesus should lead to us becoming more effective as followers and disciples. One of the joys of being a Christian is that there's no "retirement age"; no "scrapheap." There are a couple of older Christians in the church I'm at (and remember, I'm in my 50's, so we are talkig proper old) who I find inspirational. They may have aches and pains and be less nimble on their feet than they once were, but they're still always first to be at the prayer meeting, and have so much to teach and to pass on to younger believers.

I've known some great older anglers in my life, and some great Christians who've reached the "veteran" stage, and one day when I'm really old and grizzled I hope myself to be both of those things. Still fishing. Still serving God. Still learning.
Like someone once said to me: "no-one graduates from Bible study till they meet the Author face to face."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"This one's a keeper ..."

On fishing for people

Tales of the unexpected